top of page

Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) enables you to acquire a Permanent Resident status in Canada.

To be considered under the Canadian Experience Class category you:

  • Cannot live in the  province of Quebec

  • Must have at least 12 months of skilled authorized work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply

  • Must have the ability to speak, read, write in French or English

Skilled work experience includes these type of jobs:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill type 0)

  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)

  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

Professions that may no longer be considered under this category:

Work experience in the following categories may no longer be counted for work experience under the CEC:

  • Cooks (NOC 6222)

  • Food Service Supervisors (NOC 6311)

  • Administrative Officers (NOC 1221)

  • Administrative Assistants (NOC 1241)

  • Accounting Technicians/Bookkeepers (NOC 1311)

  • Retail Sales Supervisors (NOC 6211)

Does your education need to be related to your work experience?

For international applicants work experience does not have to be related to your education, as long as you have the work experience after graduating from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution

Are students eligible to apply for this program?

If you have completed your education from a post-secondary institution in Canada and have have studied as a full-time student for at least 2 years, you may be eligible to apply to immigrate through this program.

You must have 1 year or equivalent of skilled work experience in Canada. This work experience must have been obtained after you graduated and cannot have been obtained on a student visa. If you were in a co-op program or on internship your work experience will not be counted.

What is the Bridging Open Permit Program?

There is a program known as the Bridging Open Work Permit that allows qualified applicants to keep working while waiting for a final decision on their permanent residence application.

bottom of page