top of page

Federal Skilled Workers Program

There is an overall cap of 25,500 for new federal skilled workers applications starting 1 May 2014. Caps do NOT affect people with a valid job offer.

Although there is a cap on this program a person can still apply for this either through the “eligible” occupations or through an approved job offer from a Canadian company or through enrolling or completing a Ph.D. program from a Canadian University. A client will need to obtain at least 67 points based on education, work experience, English and French language skills, age and adaptability.

Given below is a set of frequently asked questions and the list of eligible occupations where a client must have at least one year of continuous full-time experience (in the last ten years) or equivalent paid work experience in occupation under a skill level A, B or O (professional, technical or managerial).

Federal Skilled Workers: FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions

You must prove your language levels by passing a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

You can get a maximum of 28 points for language ability but to qualify you must get a minimum of CLB 7 for your first official language in all four language areas i.e. listen, speak, read and write. To get additional points on the second official language you must get a CLB 5 in all four areas.

What is the expected Language Proficiency for a Federal Skilled Worker?

Who is Considered a Federal

Skilled Worker?

A person who can obtain at least 67 points based on your education, work experience, English and French language skills, age and adaptability. You must have at least one year of continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time) work experience in a single occupation, within the last 10 years in one of the eligible occupations OR you must have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR must be an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months).

You must have a you have a permanent job offer from a Canadian employer that has been approved by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

What do you mean by

arranged employment?

Eligible Professions

Federal Skilled Worker: Eligible Professions
  • 0013 Senior managers – financial, communications and other business services

  • 0015 Senior managers – trade, broadcasting and other services, n.e.c.

  • 0111 Financial managers

  • 0112 Human resources managers

  • 0113 Purchasing managers

  • 0121 Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers

  • 0311 Managers in health care

  • 0711 Construction managers

  • 0712 Home building and renovation managers

  • 0811 Managers in natural resources production and fishing

  • 0911 Manufacturing managers

  • 1111 Financial auditors and accountants

  • 1112 Financial and investment analysts

  • 1113 Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers

  • 1114 Other financial officers

  • 1123 Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations

  • 1212 Supervisors, finance and insurance office workers

  • 1224 Property administrators

  • 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers

  • 2131 Civil engineers

  • 2132 Mechanical engineers

  • 2133 Electrical and electronics engineers

  • 2145 Petroleum engineers

  • 2171 Information systems analysts and consultants

  • 2172 Database analysts and data administrators

  • 2173 Software engineers and designers

  • 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers

  • 2232 Mechanical engineering technologists and technicians

  • 2234 Construction estimators

  • 2241 Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians

  • 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics

  • 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety

  • 2281 Computer network technicians

  • 3011 Nursing co-ordinators and supervisors

  • 3012 Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses

  • 3111 Specialist physicians

  • 3112 General practitioners and family physicians

  • 3132 Dietitians and nutritionists

  • 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists

  • 3142 Physiotherapists

  • 3143 Occupational Therapists

  • 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists

  • 3215 Medical Radiation Technologists

  • 3216 Medical Sonographers

  • 3233 Licensed practical nurses 3234 Paramedical occupations

  • 4011 University professors and lecturers

  • 4151 Psychologists

  • 4214 Early childhood educators and assistants

  • 5125 Translators, terminologists and interpreters

bottom of page