top of page

Live-In Caregivers

Live-In Caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-In Caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.

In order to qualify as a Live-In Caregiver you must:

Both the employer and the employee must follow several steps to meet the requirements of the Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP). Also, you must:

  • Have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education

  • Have at least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or related experience in the past three years

  • Have a good working knowledge of English or French

  • Must apply for and receive a work permit as a Live-In Caregiver

Before you are hired as a Live-In Caregiver your Employer must go through several steps.

 Once the employer is given the green signal to hire a Live-In Caregiver the employer must provide a written contract.

Live in Caregivers: Qualifications
Frequently Asked Questions

You can apply after you have completed 24 months of full-time employment or 3,900 hours of full time employment.

When can I apply for

Permanent Residence?

Can I travel outside Canada when I am working as a Live Caregiver?

You can travel based on the vacation time allotted in your contract.  However, ensure you do not take any extra days without written consent from your employer. Also, check that you meet all the criteria for returning to Canada as you may not be permitted to re-enter Canada if you do not meet all of the conditions e.g. if your work permit has expired or your country of origin requires you to obtain a temporary resident visa.

You are entitled to legal rights and fair working conditions and benefits such as days off, overtime pay etc.

Do I have any rights as a

Live-In Caregiver?

Live in Caregivers: FAQ
bottom of page